Journey to Emme

Adoption of our daughter Emme Xiang Evans from China (DOB 12/3/05). Michael, Bianca, and Amelia (DOB 2/8/03) Evans.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Break/4th of July/Tristan's B-day

Summer is tough with the kids. Emme's only 'special' time during the week is speech therapy these days. It's a chance for her and I to go somewhere by ourselves and focus on something together. I can't wait until she's back in school, because I know she will enjoy herself there instead of being stuck in the house with my mom and Tristan during the day. (although our nanny helps keep things more interesting for the kids several days/week). Her speech is still an issues but therapy is helping alot. They estimated this would be a 6 month deal. She's now 100% potty trained during the day and about 80% at night. I'm still her favorite (poor Papa is "chopped liver" when I'm home).



After work, Michael or I try to take the girls (sometimes all 3) swimming. Emme loves to play rough in the water. She wants to be tossed, flipped, or just jump in. She's swimming underwater, holds her breath very well, but can't seem to figure out how to get her head up out of the water to get a breath! We worry about this combination of lack of fear and inablility to stay afloat, so Michael's been working hard trying to teach her. I think the swimming has helped her train her breathing (helping at speech therapy) and keep her mouth closed (we were told she has weak jaw muscles). Other than that she's a clown as usual.



Amelia is in Gymnastics summer camp 2 days/week. At first she had trouble making a friend (somewhat unusual for her), but now she's found a few. She has loved the physical part of gymnastics from the beginning and she's build for it - all muscle. Who knew a 5 year old could have the makings of a 6 pack?



I talked about Tristan in his blog, but in a nutshell he's super cute and layed back (thank God).



It was fun seeing some family and friends at Tristan's party over the 4th of july w/e. I was BBQ Queen and about melted in the heat even though it was late afternoon.



I hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th of July. Also, a quick congratulations to our friends from Michigan who just adopted their 2nd daughter from China (we met them in China in on our journey to Emme). She, like Emme, also has VSD. I'm so incredibly happy for them (their 5th child in total). It makes me want to adopt again. Too bad I can't even keep up with only 3! Good luck Kelly! Congrats to you too Aunt Karen!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Thanks so much for the sweet words -- our Ella reminds me so much of Emme, it's uncanny. She's doing so well, but has much to overcome. I will be sending you an email with more specifics, but wanted to say "hi" and thanks for your support during our adoption. Five, by the way, is my limit!

    Happy belated birthday to Master Tristan - I thought about him on his special day, thought about all of you.

    Congratulations to Emme on the successful potty training -- way to go, girlio!

    Oh, one more thing a family from our travel group lives in your city -- lovely people, I'd love to introduce you!

    Hi to Michael -- and we saw Kelly, our 11/06 guide! She says "hi" to your family, and was thrilled to hear of Emme's health after her surgery!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home