Challenging afternoon 11/9
Amelia woke up from her nap with another high fever so we began to worry and decided a visit to the clinic was in order (other families had visited the clinic with positive results for their babies). We were supposed to leave at 2:30 for a trip to the passport office and Michael had left with Amelia around 2pm. I told him I'd come get him since it was unclear whether we were both needed for this trip. Unfortunately, when everyone (including me) spoke about "the clinic" we were referring to the one in the hotel. Michael did not know that this one existed and went to the clinic labeled on the map of Shamian Island (yikes!). He was needed for the passport visit and I obviously could not retrieve him from the hotel clinic, so our guide Kelly called the passport office and told them Michael had to take our sick daughter to the hospital and therefore they allowed me to complete the paperwork alone. It was all quite troubling. Michael called Kelly's cell phone and we figured out what happened. They told Michael Amelia's tonsils were inflamed and suggested Amoxicillin (they offered a shot or pills). We spoke with a doctor in our group (he's a radiation oncologist, but he had to do his best with pediatrics) and he agreed that the antibiotics we had with us (Azithromicin) would be fine.
After the passport visit the group and I proceeded to a Women's and Children's departement store. It was a busy area where we were all clearly subjects of interest including the first begger I had seen. I stuck to our friends the Kings' like glue. Shopping there was alot like work as the sales people are all over you. It took me what felt like an eternity to get the items (not even all of them) for Emme and for us to head back. We hit rush hour which was a disaster. Mopeds give themselves the right of way at all times and cut in front of buses and cars as if they have no regard for their lives. It's really quite something to see.
I was glad to get back, but upset to see Amelia looking so lathargic. Michael had trouble giving the meds, and had recently readministered Tylenol as her fever was up again. Once the medicine kicked in she was a bit back to herself. Fortunately I had picked up McDonalds for everyone while I was out on my excursion with Emme. It was actually good. Emme doesn't get much mention to today because she was so good through this entire day. She did eat her first bite of solid food today. She grabbed and bit off a piece of french fry. As Jonathan (King) put it, now she's officially an American!
After the passport visit the group and I proceeded to a Women's and Children's departement store. It was a busy area where we were all clearly subjects of interest including the first begger I had seen. I stuck to our friends the Kings' like glue. Shopping there was alot like work as the sales people are all over you. It took me what felt like an eternity to get the items (not even all of them) for Emme and for us to head back. We hit rush hour which was a disaster. Mopeds give themselves the right of way at all times and cut in front of buses and cars as if they have no regard for their lives. It's really quite something to see.
I was glad to get back, but upset to see Amelia looking so lathargic. Michael had trouble giving the meds, and had recently readministered Tylenol as her fever was up again. Once the medicine kicked in she was a bit back to herself. Fortunately I had picked up McDonalds for everyone while I was out on my excursion with Emme. It was actually good. Emme doesn't get much mention to today because she was so good through this entire day. She did eat her first bite of solid food today. She grabbed and bit off a piece of french fry. As Jonathan (King) put it, now she's officially an American!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home