Journey to Emme

Adoption of our daughter Emme Xiang Evans from China (DOB 12/3/05). Michael, Bianca, and Amelia (DOB 2/8/03) Evans.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Trip to Disney














































Wow, how quickly time flies. It's already been over one month since my last post. This past weekend we took a trip to Orlando and spent one day in the Magic Kingdom, one in Epcot, and the last at MGM returning home on Saturday night. The first night away from home (wed.) was tough. We asked for a crib and they brought us a metal crib resembling the one Emme slept in at the orphanage (except it had a mattress, pillow, and blanket in place of the wooden planks). I didn't even want to attempt to put her in it, but she was asleep when we did so we figured it might be alright. Nope, a few hours later she woke up screaming. We brought her in to the bed where Amelia, Michael and I were already occupying the king size bed. She hasn't slept with us since the first few nights, so she thought it was play time. We tried to put her back in to the crib, but again that turned into instant screams. Michael took care of Emme so Amelia and I could try to get some rest, and I think in the end he ended up with about three hours of sleep. Amelia and I did a bit better at around 6. Needless to say a tough start. Our first day at Magic Kingdom Emme was great, as usual. She managed to get a few winks during some of the attractions. Amelia, on the other hand, was not quite as amicable. She had some real moments, but our friends that were with us (Allyson and Kris) had a great idea. Visit the hall of presidents around mid-day. Both girls fell asleep in the lobby area in the much needed A/C, Amelia on the carpet with the backpack as a pillow, and Emme in my arms. Michael watched Amelia as I went into the Hall of presidents with sleeping Emme. She woke up as we exited, so I hung out there playing with her and watching Amelia sleep while Michael, Allyson and Kris caught the haunted house. The girls seemed to enjoy themselves anyway.

All four of us slept in the king bed that night. That seemed to work fairly well except poor Michael is such a light sleeper, Emme's feet in his back didn't allow him to rest very well. The next day we got a slower start hoping to improve the girls sleep and mood (and ours). This plan was met with limited success, but all in all the girls seemed to be in better spirits. It was fun watching Emme interact with the public. Whenever we were in a place with a mass of people she would go up to strangers, touching them and socializing....on HER terms. She didn't want them to hold her. If they got too close or seemed too forward she'd retreat into our arms. Her smile and antics really draw people in to her, it's a joy to watch.

By half way through the third night Michael realized the only way he could get any sleep was to retreat to the sleeper sofa in the suite. Not comfy, but at least he had more space. Amelia had her face painted at MGM and I think that was one of her favorite parts. She is such a scaredy cat. At each park she had at least one ride that scared her. At Epcot, the Honey I Shrunk the Kids 3D movie drove her to tears and her begging me to take her out, and that was long after she stopped wearing the 3D glasses. Her favorite ride was the Mexico boat ride at Epcot. It was soooo placid. Emme on the other hand fell asleep during the Honey I Shrunk the kids movie despite the loud noises and effects intended to startle. Funny how the two are so different. Emme doesn't seem to get scared very easily. Startled occasionally, but not really scared.

Both girls fell asleep on the ride home on Saturday (we left around 6:30pm). Amelia never woke up until 7am the next morning. Emme woke up for a few hours and then went to bed around 9pm. I doubt Emme will remember much, but Amelia always seems to enjoy it despite some of the challenges. Michael figured that it was best we went one last time before Tristan is born since it will be the last time we get to go for nearly 2 years. We're not fans of dragging tiny infants around the parks. Even Emme's age was borderline, although she's such an easy going kid it wasn't really too bad (except all of the carrying where strollers weren't allowed). Michael picked up my slack as I've gotten to the point where it's getting harder to touch my toes and I can't hold Emme for too long before my arms give out (okay that was always the case with my tooth pick arms anyway, can't blame Tristan for that).

We were all exhausted on Sunday and Michael and I were actually had sore muscles. Trying to get back to normal today although Amelia is still a bit edgy and poor Emme picked up a cold. I was worried about that while we were there. Reduced sleep, hot/cold environments, germs of the masses....definitely conducive for catching a cold. She woke up with a fever this morning which followed during the day with moments of lethargy and lack of appetite. Talked to the pediatricians office and administering Ibuprofen and Tylenol as needed. She seems much, much better this evening. I get the urge to feel badly that we put her through such a stressful weekend. I think she was emotionally ready for it, and I actually think it helped her bond with us even better as she got so much attention and was held so often by us during our visit. On the physical side, however, I have to accept the fact that she may have a weaker immunity thanks to her VSD, but I can't protect her from everything all of the time. I can only hope that the surgery will help with these issues long term. I'm still stressing a bit on the time table for this surgery, but I know it'll work itself out, and I'm hoping she'll be up to starting "school" two days a week in the fall. She's such a social butterfly, she'll really thrive in that environment. She absolutely loves when she's brought to Amelia's class and gets to interact with the kids and toys there.

Nothing new on the baby front other than the fact that I'm feeling quite huge these last few days. They do my blood glucose tomorrow but I'm not expecting anything exciting. Tristan still keep using me as a punch bag, more than ever. Amelia talks about him and to him fairly regularly, Emme just likes my protruding navel (yuck).

Oh, I almost forgot, at Emme's last pediatrician appointment, she was 95% for height and 45% for weight. She looks great!

Well, I'll post again as something interesting happens, or at least by next month.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    What a fun vacation! Every little princess needs to go and visit the Disney princesses! So sorry to hear about the sleeping issues. Poor, sweet Emme, I cringed when I read your description of the crib. I'd have thrown a holy fit, too!

    Have you thought about taking along your own pack n' play when you travel? (assuming you have one) That's what we do, so even if the room is different, the PNP, sheets, blankets, etc. are all familiar. It's a pain in the tush, but worth it.

    We got back from the Disney cruise two weeks ago, there's nothing like the rocking of a ship to promote deep sleep! Katie never even changed position when she was sleeping on the ship!

    I don't know if you saw it, but a few posts back on my blog there's a video of Katie tasting her first chocolate. Mimi might get a kick out of it. Katie really enjoyed that chocolate!

    Good to hear from you, and great to see pix of your beautiful family. You look great, Bianca. Hi to everyone from our whole clan.

    EKJKT&K

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    Yipee! When I saw that you had posted a comment on TB's Blog, I hoped it meant you would be updating your site so I came right over. Alas, nothing at that time. However, I checked back and, Yea!, not one but THREE updates.

    I haven't even read them all yet, I'm just saying "HI!" and that I've missed seeing whats going on with you guys.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home